Post Doctoral Researcher in Law
Fixed-term full time position (12 months)
Based at the Centre for Law and Development, College of Law, Qatar University
About the Centre:
Established in 2016, the Centre for Law and Development (CLD) is law and policy research centre based out of the College of Law, Qatar University (Doha, Qatar). It is committed to engaging with government, industry and stakeholders to deliver clear policy perspectives, advice and insight through publications, submissions, the organization of roundtable discussions and hosting of International panels and conferences.
About the Position:
The Post Doctoral Researcher will work within the CLD to undertake grant-funded technical legal studies. We are particularly interested in researchers with an interest in law and technology, such as Artificial Intelligence, Financial Technology, Blockchain and Cybersecurity law. This will involve:
1. Building a taskforce of key stakeholders;
2. Law and policy research and drafting;
3. Preparing papers and reports for publication;
4. Presenting at conferences and events;
5. Collaborating with internal and external parties to complete the research project;
6. Candidates will be able to contribute to the wider activities of the Centre including:
- Engaging in both collaborative and independent research and publication in areas of strategic interest to the Centre and its mission (i.e. law and governance, economic diversification, finance and technology).
- Providing both leadership and support in the preparation of grant applications relating to thematic areas and priorities identified by the Centre.
- Providing research and editorial support for Centre publications.
- Teaching selected legal courses.
- Provide professional support in the preparation and administration of events relating to the Centre and its activities.
- Support the Centre’s Executive Legal Education programmes and other educational programmes.
- Engage local stakeholders for both outreach and sponsorship opportunities.
- Participate in University committees and Centre affairs as needed.
- Participate in other Centre activities, research and outreach.
Candidate qualifications and qualities
It is essential that candidates:
1. Are fluent in all aspects of the English language
2. Hold a PhD (or equivalent) in a relevant field and from a recognized tertiary institution
3. Can be based in Qatar
It is highly desirable if candidates:
1. Have previously published in professional or peer reviewed journals (SCOPUS/ISI) in the field
2. Have experience working in an academic environment
3. Can work in an independent and disciplined manner
4. Can effectively manage workflow and meet deadlines
5. Are literate in IT-related matters
Remuneration and Conditions
Competitive remuneration packages (tax-free), schooling allowance (for one child), and annual return tickets to home country (or equivalent) for candidates and their family (spouse and one child).
Send expressions of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include an up to date CV and cover letter.
Start Date: August 2020 (indicate in cover letter if earlier preferred)