Visiting Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Professor and Director of the Clinic for Asylum, Refugee and Emigrant Services (CARES)
241-Law School Instruction
Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law seeks an outstanding lawyer-educator to direct and teach its Clinic for Asylum, Refugee & Emigrant Services (CARES) as a Visiting Assistant Professor, Visiting Associate Professor, or Visiting Professor during academic year 2018-2019. The Clinic represents asylum seekers in immigration court and before the USCIS Asylum Office. The position is a 12-month, visiting position beginning on June 1, 2018, with the possibility of one additional 12-month term.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect, and can contribute to the University's mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach clinic classes focused on lawyering skills, professional development, and ethical practice, employing clinical teaching methods.
- Supervise all aspects of student practice, employing clinical teaching pedagogy in the CARES Clinic, and serve as the attorney of record in Clinic cases.
- Oversee all aspects of administration of the CARES Clinic, including but not limited to conducting outreach to clients, selecting cases, reporting to funding sources, and maintaining files.
- State bar membership is required (Pennsylvania bar membership or an ability to waive into the Pennsylvania bar is preferred).
- An understanding of, and commitment to, clinical teaching methodology is required.
- Relevant legal practice experience, including experience litigating immigration matters, is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
- Excellent clinical teaching ability, including an ability to work both collaboratively and independently and a demonstrated interest in and aptitude for student supervision and teaching, is required.
- Expertise in relevant substantive areas of law is required.
- Prior clinical teaching experience is preferred.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours
Special Message to Applicants
- 5 years of legal experience is preferred.
All applications must be submitted online and must include:
- Application cover letter.
- Current and complete curriculum vitae.
- Statement of teaching philosophy.
- List of 3 references. We will contact the references for finalists only.
- Unofficial academic transcripts are required to submit application. Official transcripts will be required from finalists only.
Review of applications will begin upon receipt and continue until the position is filled.
Closing Date (12am ET):
Open Until Filled:
Salary Posting Information:
To apply, visit: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/13069
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values. Villanova University is committed to providing leadership in the attainment of equal employment for all individuals. It is the policy and practice of Villanova University to recruit and select applicants on the basis of their qualifications and abilities. This effort is in compliance with all federal and state laws, including Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.